Tuesday 30 September 2014

Beauty School drop out. Is this the industry you want to work in?

Beauty School Drop out. Go back to high school. Best movie ever.

          

                                                                   Pics Courtesy of Google Images.

Why did I decide to study make up artistry and beauty therapy?

If we're going to be honest, I would have to say my passion began when I was quite young. I loved everything about beauty, fashion and good hair.

As a kid, I unfortunately had man legs. You know, the type you have to shave/wax apparently. In fact, I was hairy all over. (Thank you wog genes). I knew then and there I would be a beauty therapist.

                  

                                                                       Pics Courtesy of Google Images.

And lets not stop there.  I have 3 girls ~ a little hairy on the legs and brows. Holy crap. Sending them out to a beauty therapist was going to cost me (ok...shoosh... was going to cost daddy) a small fortune.  And yet, my boy isn't hairy at all ~ go figure!

But as I got older, I became annoyed with the way my brows were being shaped. "Just a tidy up thanks. Leave my shape". Clear enough right? Spoken in English or was it Engrish!!!!! I walk out with two lines, that look drawn on. Arrrggghhh.

     
                        
                                                             Pics Courtesy of Google Images.

There was my Green Light to beauty school. It was the best year of education I experienced. The friends I made whilst studying have become life long friends. I loved everything from the theory right down to the practical - except for Pedicures. Did not fancy performing those at all. YUK.

                          

                                                                Pics Courtesy of Google Images.

Years later, whilst teaching beauty therapy at a college, I always encouraged the students to 'LISTEN' to the client. "LISTEN TO WHAT THEY WANT". It's really not that difficult. Alas, communication in today's society has become some what obsolete.


                                                         Pics Courtesy of Google Images.

I became qualified in waxing, lash and brow tinting, manis & pedis, facials, Swedish massage, advanced facials - using electrical apparatus, indian head massage, female intimate waxing, aromatherapy in beauty, nutrition and spraytanning. This qualification was in addition to my Certificate in Fashion, Glamour and Bridal Make up Artistry - I attained at the Napoleon Perdis Academy in Parramatta NSW.

Completing make up at Napoleon Perdis Academy, I was enriched with loads of tips and tricks on make up application. I loved it so much, that I ended up working for the company in retail and as a make up artist for 3 years. Best experience as I learnt so much on the job and gained inspiration from my colleagues, the creative team and Mr Perdis himself. I was fortunate to listen to him at various masterclasses I attended.


Some gorgeous colleagues I trained with.



Photos taken in 2008 for the NP Staff Xmas Party.


Now I get to the part where I noticed the flaws in career choices. BEAUTY THERAPY - 'ooooh sounds so glamorous. I get to receive treatments all day. I get to look pretty everyday. I'm so going to blitz this course cause I'm already beautiful'. > Don't laugh. This actually happens unfortunately to school leavers.

      

                                                            Pics Courtesy of Google Images.
                                                                       
Everything is sweet for the first few months when studying beauty. Students settle in and are performing manis, pedis, lash and brow tinting and waxing. This is pretty easy. Even the assessments are not so bad.

UNTIL............ skin biology enters. Did someone mention Anatomy and Physiology of the skin???? The students freak out. Not all of them though. The passionate ones (like me) will attack any challenge in learning and research. The other 30% freak out. Is the trainer speaking another language. What do you mean the skin has cells that regenerate and hair grows in 3 phases. And what about this electrical jargon - what's Galvanic, High Frequency and Vacuum Suction? Is Vacuum suction anything to do with a Dyson??? So many questions. So much to know. Assessments way too technical and time consuming. (Yes future beauty students - there are assessments and they do involve research).



                                                       Pics Courtesy of Google Images.


Beauty Therapy, especially at Diploma Level, requires the student to have a basic knowledge of English, maths and science. Otherwise, if you are not keen to learn, you are simply wasting your time and mummy and daddy's money.

If you are not sure if you will like this course, why not begin with the Cert II in Retail Make up and Skin Care or Certificate in Beauty Therapy - these courses are not as intense and will give you an idea what the beauty industry expects from their staff. The beauty (pardon the pun) of it is that if you decide to continue with your studies, you can be exempt for those subjects you have already passed. This is called RPL (recognition of prior learning).

As for me, I loved Skin Biology - learning about the various levels of the skin; the 3 phases of hair growth (anagen, telogen & catagen); how beauty products benefit the skin; how products are absorbed through the skin; the aesthetics of the skin; using electrical apparatus in advanced facials - Galvanic to infuse serum further into the skin layers to promote collagen and elastin (look out for the blog in the future on different skin care definitions); vacuum suction to eliminate oil congestion and blackheads; High Frequency to zap those nasty pimples to promote quicker skin healing. I could go on but you would be here forever reading. Its simple. I love beauty therapy. I love skin biology.

 Galvanic / High Frequency / Vacuum Suction Electrical Equipment used in Advanced Facials.
 Pics Courtesy of Google Images.
So where to next for me - as I never get tired of studying and learning new things, I think I would love to study Skin Aesthetics further, so that I can keep up to date with treatments such as fraxel, microdermabrasion and laser. In NSW AUSTRALIA, Laser requires the therapist to hold a license as per the Skin Penetration Act.

Do your homework girls. Research the various colleges and TAFE that offer beauty. Ask questions to your careers advisor. Send me an email - smkrpez@bigpond.com - no question is silly. Attend Career Expos - as I use to work at these promoting Beauty Therapy and Make up Application. Don't be shy to visit a college - most have an open door policy so that you can see what they do. Most colleges will also have a Student Clinic operating, where you can have treatments, waxing and tanning done at a reduced price cause the students are performing them - under the close supervision of the Trainer(s).

    

                                                            Pics Courtesy of Google Images.


Places where Beauty Therapy can take you;

* Beauty Salons, Spas, Health Spas
* Retail at Beauty Counters
* Trainers for Colleges and Reps for Cosmetic Brands (I attained my Cert IV in Training and Assessment, along with industry experience, to train students in beauty and make up).
* Salons on a Ship / Cruise
* Beauty Editor / Blogger (me)

For further information on Beauty Careers and Courses, go to;

TAFE
Morpheus Academy of Hair and Beauty - Leumeah, NSW
OPEN Learning
Napoleon Perdis Academy - NSW.

(you can find these on Google)

SK x

No comments:

Post a Comment