Saturday 30 August 2014

Purple Reign! How young is too young for Make up?

Lets step back in time. It's 1987, I come home from school and find a new outfit on my bed and MAKE UP. I was 14. Mum had purchased me my very first piece of make up. I was like a kid in a candy store. 
It was purple eyeshadow and purple lippie in true 80's style. That night was my very first school disco! Picture Rick Astley (this ones for you Rachel T - Never going to give you up), Madonna (La isla Bonita), Pet Shop Boys, Los Lobos (La Bamba), George Michael and remember Mel & Kim. I was channelling Prince - purple was my favourite colour. Still is. Loved Purple Rain.


I wish I had a pic to share of that night. I looked so cool (in my head) and I was rocking the perm with 'that fringe'. It had height. It had tiz and it didn't move. Karol, you will vouch for me. (Walking to the bus stop shielding our 'fringes' from the breeze. It was an art! We nailed it.

Circa 1989 Year 10 Formal with my bestie. Make up was done by ourselves.
Ok enough reminiscing.  Back to make up. Was I too young to be painting my face? Not really. I was a teenager. I was yet to be introduced to foundation. I wouldn't even have known how to apply it. I may have drawn an outline of my face and carefully coloured in within the line. A bit like what I witness in 2014 - the young girls of today and some older women too who like that 'non-blended' look.
Young teens shouldn't be plastering their faces with too much make up. Most of them are covering the effects of hormone outbreaks. Some are frantically disguising the tiny red blemish! They are better off investing daddy's money on anti-bacterial skin care.
A simple BB cream (this will even out skin tone and redness) would suffice or even a tinted moisturiser with a SPF+.
Picture courtesy of www.putinstyle.com

This can be teamed with some eyeshadow, eyeliner, mascara, blush (not too dark - dont want to look like a clown) and some lipgloss. NEVER SHARE liners, mascara and lippie.  Avoid passing on infections such as cold sores and conjunctivitis.
I was 34 when I started using foundation. Could be why my skin has behaved for me. I let it breathe and kept it free from harsh parabens - nasty ingredients that are detrimental to our skin and entire body system.
Foundation for me is only a tool to even out my skin tone. I tend to go red on my cheeks ~ you should see when I drink wine).
I loved wearing lippie and black liquid eyeliner.
The only acceptable time young girls can pull off looking like mini adults (I speak eloquently here - I could have used the term 'little hookers', but I am a mum) is when they are performing up on stage.
My girls performing at the Easter Show 2010

2010
Make up is most girls 'must have' wants. It is exciting purchasing the different colours and parading the little black and white striped bag (Napoleon Perdis). It should be fun experimenting with their girlfriends. After all, what sleepover would be fun without some girlie make up looks.

Picture courtesy of Grease -Look at me I'm Sandra Dee!


SK x

No comments:

Post a Comment