Tuesday 17 July 2018

WHAT I WOULD TELL MY 16 YEAR OLD SELF.

This week we celebrated our third child's birthday. It was a milestone - turning 16.




Sixteen! Wowsers.....I remember my 16th birthday. We had a 'getty' as the young of today call it. We called it a get together with a few friends. We had pizza, wine and cake. Birthday cake is always essential. Wine. Underage drinking was kinda normal in our household. The croatian family dynamics always included some vino during Sunday lunch, regardless of our age. 

If there was a moment to step back in time, there would be a few home truths I would tell myself. Right my wrongs. What would I tell my 16 year old self?


  • Less is more Sandra.........that fringe really was not necessary. The proportions were just uncanny. The ozone layer may have began to debilitate because of this craze. I was partially to blame. 😱😱😱


  • Boys did not like you if they teased you. They simply disliked you. They really were being mean to us. Those boys turned into little old, bold, overweight men now. #sorrynotsorry
  • A boy crush was a normal emotion and we shouldn't be ashamed of having feelings for another human. If my 16 year old is reading this now, STOP! This does not apply to you. YET. Not until your 20. 👀👀😜
Happy birthday Claudia. Sweet 16.


  • Wanting to pursue a career in artistic flair is a real job. Going to Uni was not the be all end all. University does not define my intelligence. 

My freelance make up brand has evolved.
University was not for me. I began studying Communications .

  • High school would be the best social life of all time. That is all.
  • Thinking I was overweight is ridiculous. Size 8 is better than size 18. I should have worn that skimpy bikini. Those tight jeans.....oh wait, I did wear tight marble washed jeans. 
  • FMB boots should have made it onto my wish list. God only knows they don't make them for larger width calves and thighs now. 
  • I could have worn g-bangers, allowing them to peer over my jeans........nana undies it was from day dot. 😇😇😇They are more comfortable I guess. 
  • Midriff tops are to be worn pre-baby only. 
  • Wearing leggings as pants would only be acceptable till the year 2000; they are only to be worn as exercise apparel now. 
  • One day my daggy trackydacs would be acceptable as 'active wear'. Velour would be made popular by J-Lo. 
  • Salt n Peppa would forever be etched into our brains that our children will be taught choreography at their dance schools to this music.
  • Serving your child alcohol was only normal within the home. Bad parenting was the norm.
  • Being nice to everyone pays off as they appear from time to time in 2018 and they still like you!
My 16th birthday celebration &
Her 16th birthday 'getty'.
1989 vs 2018

So much to reflect on. Oh one thing I forgot to mention; Red Lipstick is forever in! 💄

Chanel lippie in Red is always a good idea.

My message to all 16 year olds today; make your mark now. Be nice to your parents and respect yourself always!!


SK 💋

No comments:

Post a Comment