Tuesday 30 December 2014

Page 365...........You Beauty!!!!

Being the last day of 2014, I thought it was only fitting that I write my final post of the year. 2014 has certainly thrown challenges my way - health playing a huge part. But all challenges do have a tendency to be overcome and that I did!!!!!


Pics courtesy of Google Images

Being diagnosed with Diabetes Type 2 over a year ago, I didn't take it too seriously. "I will be fine", I convinced myself. I got through Gestational Diabetes and was injecting insulin for the last two pregnancies - over 10 years ago now - I was going to see this disappear as well.

I recall the Doctor's recommendations:

* You must exercise Sandra - at least go for a half hour walk each day.  FAIL
* You need to monitor what you are eating Sandra.  FAIL.    Did someone say CAKE???
* Sandra, you need to lose weight. BLAH BLAH BLAH.  FAIL

Pic courtesy of Google Images

I was invincible. I will be fine. I will lose weight. One day. When Im ready. Arrrggghhhhh F%$K it.

So for the next year my health went spiralling out of control. If I could sleep all day - if anyone could only let me - I could sleep. Lethargy, no energy, depression, no emotions - recipe for disaster really.

So picture this, I'm doing bridal make up and I go to pop on some lashes. I can't see what the hell I'm doing. I blink a few times to get my vision back but it remained blurry. You would think this set alarm bells ringing.

I continued with life as best as I could. There was no such thing as a break from life. I had a family to keep together and a small business to run. I soldiered on. I sucked it up like a true princess. If only I could cry, perhaps I wouldn't feel so numb.

I turned to wearing my reading glasses full time as I needed to put those damn lashes on all of my clients.

Any normal person would have taken themselves to the Doctors by this stage. Well not Sandikay. Glutton for punishment I am.

Then it happened. I just wanted to sleep, sleep and more sleep. I wanted to run away to avoid conversation with anyone. It was way too difficult to keep a conversation going, even for me - Miss always talkative.

My eldest daughter, who works in a Pharmacy, suggested I go see the Nurse who was coming into the chemist to discuss Diabetes Management. It was $10 - what did I have to lose - except having to dress myself and make myself look half decent.

Pic courtesy of Google Images

I took myself off to the Nurse. Lovely lady but ironically a large lady herself. Go figure (no pun intended). We talked and she noted down my history. Then came the finger prick test for blood glucose.

BOOOM!!!!!!!!

Her facial expression said it all. "Let me do it again Sandra, as I think there may be an error" she whispered.

And there it was. The beginning of WAKE UP AND SMELL THE ROSES SANDIKAY. My blood glucose reading was 28. Normal is 7-8. See I told you all I wasn't normal!!!!! According to the medical team I was seeing, I should have been in a diabetic coma.

It was the wake up call I had been anticipating. I don't want to die young because of my diabetes. I don't want to go blind, lose a limb or more importantly, not be around. WHO WOULD DO EVERYONE'S MAKE UP???????

Pic courtesy of Google Images

From that moment, drastic action was taken and 6 months on I can happily say I'm feeling fabulous, I have energy (a little too much some days - hyper), I've lost 10kg and 10cm around my waist and my diabetes is under control. Oh and my eye sight improved only a couple of weeks later.

So why am I boring you peeps with this? It's about AWARENESS peeps. Some of you may be feeling what I experienced in the past - lethargy, depression, light headiness, weight gain & just feeling CRAP!

Get yourself to your GP. Don't wait till it gets better, because as I learnt, it doesn't get better. A simple blood test can help with diagnosis.

Don't think you are alone. Reach out for help. You aren't weak for wanting help. Do it!

So I bid 2014 farewell, and thank this year for opening my eyes and my heart to LIFE.


Pics courtesy of Google Images 



Wishing you all a fabulous, healthy and peaceful 2015 and thank you all for your support in reading my blog.

Until next year..............8 hours away........... keep SMILING.........IT LOOKS GOOD ON YOU :-)

SK x

Hubby & I

No comments:

Post a Comment