Tuesday 11 November 2014

WHEN EVERYTHING OLD IS NEW AGAIN. Living like Benjamin Button.

Bonjour my little beauties,

Whilst performing make up the other day, one of my clients made a comment suggesting that the older I was getting, the younger I looked. Really? Hmmmmm. I decided to check out some of my pictures from years gone by and holy moly - I do look younger. Or different. Definitely bigger (big is beautiful I know). But wow. Never thought it was possible but I must admit that a lot of my colleagues, friends and girlfriends do look more refreshed now as we have gotten older - or as I say, "matured". Its 'THE CURIOUS CURSE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON'  rolling out in real life.



Demi Moore in 2014 and back in the 90's. I think its safe to say that we can thank Ashton Kutcher
for keeping her young in the looks department (and plastic surgery). Pictures Courtesy of Google Images. 



Nicole Kidman in 2014 above and in 1980 (BMX Bandits days) below.
Courtesy of Google Images. 


Who can we thank for this latest finding? Is it the beauty products we are using? Is it the 2 litres of water we are drinking (or wine...... whatever wets your palette)? Is it our environment? Is it our diet or lack of? Is it the steroids pumped into our chickens? Is it the botox readily available to 'LIFT' our  sagging skin?

Pic Courtesy of Google Images.

You know what I think? I think it has to do with our genes. Not of the denim kind - those blasted skinny jeans were never made with my body shape in mind. Arrrrgggghhhhhhh.

Yes ladies, I truly believe it is our genes that map out our overall appearance.  My mama definitely looks better now than she did when I was younger. I used to think 40 was sooooooo old and over the hill. But, here I am...... 41 and finally I can say, and FABULOUS.  Turning 40 last year was more like 40 and FALLING APART :-( .

Mum & I in 2010.

My wedding day in 1993. Look how young hubby and I looked. Mum looked
fabulous in her fascinator. Dad had brown hair and my brother still had hair. Lol.

Back to the genes. A lot of my clients always request that I hide their bags under their eyes, or the darkness. Unfortunately, blaming lack of sleep is not always the reason behind it. Chances are if your mum or dad had really dark circles under their eyes, its hereditary. Nothing will really get rid of it besides a great concealer.

Tip: Always use a shade or two lighter than your natural colour, to highlight the darkness and then BLEND girls.


Pics Courtesy of Google Images.
Here are some concealers designed to use under the eye area to conceal darkness. 


Dark circles can also be a result of poor diet and dehydration. So lots of water and invest in a really good eye cream. Some of my favourites include Dermalogica, Sukin and the Young Living range that I am a distributor for. Best to apply at night when the skin is regenerating.

I may have mentioned before (pretty sure I did as this is one thing I am happy with), my skin is really good. My dad has great skin and there aren't too many signs of wrinkles. He is fully grey though, I am following suit - but thank goodness for hair dye and Mr G (Hair Flair Salon - my hairdresser). My mama is grey too so it was inevitable for me not to go grey. I was 30 when 1/2 my head showed signs of the 'sparkly hairs', as my youngest called it. Sparkles I wish. Perhaps I'll begin a new trend. I have noticed on the pages of fashion magazines, that grey hair is in vogue. Yeh........nah.  It definitely looks sexy of Richard Gere though.  Funny isn't it. Looks crap on us girls but on the boys its hot. Bastards.




Kate Moss with grey highlights.
All pics Courtesy of Google Images.
 

The way we dress and the make up we choose, along with the hairstyles we sport; also plays a big part in looking younger. I have my 'fat clothes' in my wardrobe for those 'fat days' I may have and honestly, I look about 10 years older. Then when I'm feeling fabulous, my hair looks great, my clothes reflect somewhat of a fashionista; and my make up - well what can I say. My MUA - Sminka Ink ;-p makes me look pretty. Lol. Less is more babes. No spak filler required, or the 80's blue on the eyelids is NOT necessary. Go for the fresh, natural look and maybe go for a fabulous red lippie or pink.

Another pic from 2010 - that was a great year. Pretty sure
it was when I finally found ME.

I THINK PINK IS MY COLOUR.

PIC COURTESY OF GOOGLE IMAGES


Afraid to wear RED?  I always used to wear red lipstick in my younger years. As I got older (mature) I felt it was too harsh for me. RUBBISH. I just didn't have the confidence to pull it off. Whilst working at Napoleon Perdis Cosmetics, I was encouraged to wear the look of the month and many a time, it included a bright red lippie. I will never forget when a male friend of mine walked past my counter and said, "wow, you look like a hooker Sandra. But a classy hooker". Gees thanks. Lol.

But then I realised I was the only one who thought it looked "hookerish" (my own made up word) on me. One of my favourites these days is the RED. I prefer the blue/reds with a pink tone in it.

Pic courtesy of Google Images.
Olivia P - Love her look and the way she wears RED LIPSTICK
 
TIP: Warm tone Reds include - orange/red.
Cool tone Reds include - blue/red (which is a true red), pink/red.

The ideal tone for you if you have an orange undertone complexion - are the warm tones.
If you have pink undertones - go for the blue/reds, pink/reds.

There is no rule though that you can't wear either or. Just go for it.

Hair can also determine how old you look. Just picture the perm. Although, having said that, I have heard of late many women hoping it makes a comeback as it was so easy to care for. But picture the frizzy perm. With no product in it. Big FAIL. Soft waves, curls and messy buns are ideal - especially for the party season in the warmer months.

THE PERM. 1989. SO COOL.
 
I'm wearing the classic bob again - I find this look is great for both young and old. Can look classy and then I can have fun with it and make it wavy to give me that playful look. Don't be AFRAID to experiment. Haters are gonna hate regardless. Give them something to stare at I say.

Finally, dress to impress. Impress who you may ask???? YOU. You are your worst enemy for the way you look. I'm guilty of it - especially when I'm having a 'FAT DAY'. Impress yourself ladies. Do you feel great in your outfit? Do you like wearing a hat and accessories with loads of jewellery? Go for it I say. Do what makes you comfortable. Wear it with your head held high. (If it looks shocking; lets hope your girlfriends will let you know before you show the world....lol) You have nothing to lose and a whole lot of FABULOUSNESS to gain.


These pics were taken in 2008. I was definitely having a 'fat day'
however, once I got dolled up, I felt fabulous. 


Love
SK x


PIC COURTESY OF GOOGLE IMAGES

No comments:

Post a Comment