Sunday 2 November 2014

BEAUTY ON A BUDGET. Looking fabulous for less.

The definition of beauty as described by Google Dictionary;

beauty
ˈbjuːti/
noun
noun: beauty; plural noun: beauties
  1. 1.
    a combination of qualities, such as shape, colour, or form, that pleases the aesthetic senses, especially the sight.
    "I was struck by her beauty"
    • a combination of qualities that pleases the intellect.
      "the artistry and beauty of football"
      synonyms:attractiveness, prettiness, good looks, pleasingness, comeliness, allure, allurement; More
      loveliness, charm, appeal, heavenliness, voluptuousness;
      winsomeness, grace, elegance, exquisiteness;
      splendour, magnificence, grandeur, impressiveness, picturesqueness, artistry, decorativeness;
      gorgeousness, glamour, irresistibility;
      bonniness;
      formalbeauteousness, pulchritude
      "a young woman of great beauty"

      antonyms:ugliness
    • denoting something intended to make someone more attractive.
      modifier noun: beauty
      "beauty treatment"
  2. 2.
    a beautiful or pleasing thing or person, in particular:
adjective
Australian/NZinformal
adjective: beauty
  1. 1.
    good; excellent (used as a general term of approval).

 
 
No where in that definition does it say, "Expensive", "Costs a fortune" or even "You need lots of money to look great".
 
Famous last words as spoken in BRIDE WARS.
 
I was out shopping the other day when I stumbled onto a $10 rack in Target. Yes, Target - I've been shopping in Target since I was a kid - a stylish kid at that thanks to my mum. My dad was responsible for the annual "Christmas Outfit" from EVENTS. A splurge I apparently deserved for achieving an outstanding School Report.
 
So back to the $10 clothing rack. I was so excited because the sizes left were all coincidently my size - I'm not afraid to tell you - SIZE 16. (see, it does have a 6 in it - the size my eldest daughter is these days). What are the chances. When I need an outfit, I can't find one. Here I was just browsing, and PRESTO, it's infront of me.................and its cheap as chips. Not to mention, it has my name all over it. :-P
 
 
My $20 outfit from Target. Fabric feels like scuba-diving
material - great for sucking me in.
 
I ended up purchasing 4 items for $40. Wow. Go me.
 
I wore one of the ensembles to a meeting I had the next day. I felt so stylish and you know what? I felt liberated cause I felt great and it only cost me $20 for the entire outfit. Nobody knew. The old lady on the train gazing at me (perhaps she thought I looked ok - lets hope that's what she thought lol) had no idea that it was that cheap.
 

Some awesome and very affordable outfits you can purchase
from Target stores. 
 
 
 
It dawned on me that I have always been one to grab a bargain when it came to clothing. I never pay full price unless I have to. Whether I pay $1000 for a dress or $50 for the same dress, its going to look the same on me - it only further confirms that we make the outfit look good and not the other way around. And shoes, don't get me started girlfriend. I'm pretty sure Imelda Marcos lives with us at home. Just don't know where she is hiding. But the shoe cupboard between us 4 girls in the house - no comment.
 

Wear Chanel inspired clothing on a budget. You can make
it look authentic. 
 
The same can apply to beauty products - depending what you are expecting to achieve from them. A question I used to get asked a lot from my beauty students, "What's the difference between an expensive foundation and a cheap foundation?" A great question I might add.
 

NP SET is affordable make up in the Napoleon Perdis range.
Available in Target, chemists, DJ's, Myer and Big W. 
 
 
 
 

Get a GWP (gift with purchase) when you spend a certain amount.
These promos are available throughout the year, so keep your eye on it.
 
All foundation is made to perform the same task - even out skin tone, conceal, contour and to wear as a base for the rest of the make up, ie. lipstick, eyeshadow, blush. They both are applied the same way - by brush or CLEAN fingers. Both can also look the exact same on the face.
 
Now for the difference. I believe that if you want your foundation to last all day; less need for touch ups; less need to reapply the product - then perhaps the expensive foundation will deliver. I prefer to use this type of foundation on my brides and bridesmaids as the make up is expected to last all day. The ingredients are also up to date, to enable the product to perform at it's best. Less product is required, therefore you will get the most out of it.
 
The cheaper foundation can definitely still deliver, just not to the same capacity the expensive one can. These foundations are great to use for everyday and perhaps save the expensive ones for special occasions. Having said that, don't leave the expensive foundation too long in your beauty cabinet - you don't want it to go off. You might need to build your coverage a little more to achieve the effect you want.
 
The only piece of beauty I definitely would not skimp on would be PERFUME. Cheap perfume is NASTY. Cough cough to the lady behind me on the train, wearing TABU. Nasty and so not friendly on the nose. I find the cheaper the perfume, not only does it not smell as good as CHANEL, DIOR, YSL or ESTEE LAUDER to name a few; but the scent does not last too long on the skin - causing the wearer to add more - PLEASE DON'T. PLEASE AND THANK YOU.
 

Some perfumes just smell off. The toilet bowl perhaps
does smell a little better. 

 
So to sum up, the best shops to purchase a great apparel bargain include; Target, Big W, David Jones (yes DJ's - their sales are awesome), Myer, Crossroads, The Iconic (online), Jag. Pretty much any store once their clothing goes on sale. Be patient and if it is still there when the SALE begins, then it was meant to be yours - that's my philosophy anyways.
 
For beauty products; head on over to your local PRICELINE store. There is so much to choose from when it comes to make up, skin care - including chemical free skincare, hair accessories and beauty tools - eg, sponges, brushes, tweezers. Also look out for the big cosmetic brands that hold warehouse sales. For eg, Napoleon Perdis holds a warehouse sale a few times a year. Check out their FB page and website - the items on sale are fabulous. They are not necessarily close to their use by dates, rather they may be a colour/item that is discontinued, packaging may be dated or simply they have excess stock they want to get rid of.
 
Finally, the perfume. I find PRICELINE always has great bargains on expensive brand perfumes. Check out their Christmas packs - they are a bargain and great for stocking fillers. Chemist Warehouse is also another great place. Don't snub DJ's or Myer though. They also offer GIFT WITH PURCHASE during the year, when you purchase a perfume from their range. Who doesn't like a freebie.
 



 
So don't think you can never look good because you can't afford it. Just get out of your comfort zone and check out the various bargain stores. You do not keep the price tag on to show the world how much you spent. Who cares what others think anyways. You can look beautiful at any price.
 

 
SK x

No comments:

Post a Comment