Thursday 23 October 2014

De-clutter your SURROUNDS & you will SHINE BRIGHTLY.

I'm the first to say that I would judge those on TV reality shows, that have someone come into their homes to de-clutter and clean. Well, I have slapped myself on the wrist and I have swallowed my words.

Pic Courtesy of Google Images

Enter my very own Juanita/Lei Ling/Alice - my house cleaner -  Kathryn. I think I've always wanted her in my life, but I was afraid my mother would be disappointed with my lack of enthusiasm to de-clutter.
It was a godsend when my parents recently moved house and I saw how much my mum de-cluttered her home of 28 years. Well, it was time for Sandikay to do the same. I took a stand. I booked Kathryn and I told mama bear my plans. She thought it was a great idea...... WHAT!!!!!!! Far out, I really do not know why I still care what my mum thinks. I'm 41 for pete's sake. She encouraged me to do it. Crikey, if I knew this, Kathryn would have entered my world 21 years ago, Just saying.


Pics Courtesy of Google Images 


Now I'm not making excuses why I have 2 particular rooms in my house that have become wardrobes - everything gets dumped in there; but............ here is my argument. I'm a mum to 4 kids, I'm a taxi driver for 3 of those kids, I run my own make up and beauty business, I'm a wife, I have cooking and washing that never freakin ends. When do I seriously have time to clean and de-clutter. I need 8 days in a week. I still don't think I would have enough time. Don't get me started on the ironing. I HATE IRONING - who came up with that idea that clothes should be crease free. Bet you it was a man.

Pic Courtesy of Google Images

Now what does this have to do with my love of everything beauty you may be thinking. Well, it goes something like this. Confidence begins within.  If you are happy with yourself and everything around you, then you will begin to shine from the inside out. Your hair shines and your skin becomes clearer. Even your nails begin to strengthen.

When you are truly happy, you will shine. The endorphins you are naturally making are the key ingredient to a successful road ahead. It's like a spiritual awakening really. Shedding layers and beginning to breathe again. I'm speaking figuratively here - I am losing weight too - this is a whole new spiritual journey.

Pic Courtesy of Google Images
THIS DREAM HAS NOW COME TRUE THANKS TO KATHRYN.

Whilst Kathryn was busy cleaning our humble home, I was able to attend to a lovely client that wanted some make up tips on application and products. It felt great knowing while I worked, the house was getting cleaned. (Let me clarify what I mean by 'getting cleaned'. Between myself and the kids, we vacuum, mop, clean the bathrooms, they clean their rooms and generally everything is clean. But, its the clutter and my obsession with hoarding everything (guilty as charged) that needed to be addressed.

Little things that just sat there were thrown away - see you later. I suppose its true if you haven't used it or worn the piece of clothing for over 12 months then dump it. Except if your weight fluctuates like mine, then you will find Size 12 to Size 18 in my wardrobe. Okay, you may find a few size 8's and 10's = these are just a reminder of my build many years ago - when I was thin. Pfffft who am I kidding keeping those. I have to be realistic. I'll never be a size 8 or 10 again. But that's ok. I'm happy and comfortable in my skin as a Size 14 to 16. I just hope I stay like that.

So I thank Kathryn for opening my eyes and encouraging me to let go of those items that are not necessary to keep. I do feel mentally better and the shedding process made me see things in a different light. Perhaps I am finally turning into the butterfly I always yearned to be. Waited 41 years but it was soooooo worth it.

I congratulate those people who are brave enough to go on Reality TV to de-clutter their homes. I recall one episode of Oprah (gotta love Ms O), where they suggested if you wanted to purchase a new item of clothing or an item for the home - get rid of one you already have. What a great tip. Replace the old with the new.

My aim is to have this house in top shape by Christmas. I wouldn't want Santa to stumble over any crap I have accumulated. Maybe, he can give me a special gift this year too - you know, for being all good and that. {Hint: I like bags, shoes, clothes and diamonds}. I hope hubby has time to read this blog.

Pic Courtesy of Google Images

So ladies, its been said by a dear friend of mine (Hi Snjezana) that you can't look fab and have a clean house - you can only have time for one or the other. I freakin don't know where I got lost, as I looked crap for ages and still had a messy home. Although, Kathryn did say my place was one of the 'neater' messy homes. She said it was an 'organised mess'. I'm happy with that diagnosis. It really was only the back family room and the study that needed an overhaul. I've put it off for way too long and finally its getting there. You BEAUTY. (see what I did there. Pardon the pun. lol)

So now I can enjoy my time with the kids and hubby, put that lippie on, dress pretty - not just my tracksuit pants - and look refreshed, AND my house will once again be beautiful, like it was pre-four kids. (My house was actually a lot more organised whilst the kids were babies and toddlers - go figure). :-P

Pic Courtesy of Google Images.



SK x

No comments:

Post a Comment